Scientific design and monitoring of Mediterranean marine protected areas
Porto Cesareo (Italy), October 1999, 64 p., 90 refs
Outcome of a meeting, held in Porto Cesareo, Italy, in October 1999, to review relevant experience and recent scientific advances which could be of potential benefit in designing, monitoring and managing MPAs in the Mediterranean region. Theory and practice accumulated over the last ten years in the management of marine protected areas have been confronted. The report contents recommendations addressed to scientists - on the design and monitoring protocol of MPAs - and to managers as well - on the mediation between environmental protection and socio-economic development.
This volume, fully illustrated and rich in references, is available in print from our on-line bookstore.
You may also download the Executive Summary if based in a CIESM Member State.
This book is protected by international copyright law.
I - Executive summary
by Ferdinando Boero, Frédéric Briand and Fiorenza Micheli
II - Workshop communications
- Photosensitized degradation of organic compounds in natural waters
O. Bajt, N. Kovac, J. Faganeli and B. Sket
- Global experiences in marine protected area planning and lessons learned
- La protection côtière intégrée dans l´île de Djerba en Tunisie: réalités et perspectives
- Structure versus organization and function: an approach for the evaluation of a site
for marine protection
- Marine protected areas in the Mediterranean Sea : Croatian experiences
A. Benovic, M. Peharda and V. Onofri
- A summary of theoretical results regarding the design of marine reserves
Louis W. Botsford
- South Sinai protected areas network: from a vision to a success and the coming
challenges and risks
Alain Jeudy de Grissac
- The role of MPAs for the sustainable use of marine resources: problems related to
a cost-benefit analysis
- Marine reserves: US experience in a Mediterranean context
- The international sanctuary for Mediterranean cetaceans: criteria for its origin and
Giuseppe Notarbartolo di Sciara
- Marine protected areas: conservation of biodiversity and enhancement of fisheries
Alfonso A. Ramos
- Marine protected areas in the Maltese Islands: status and problems
Patrick J. Schembri
- A new instrument on specially protected areas in the Mediterranean
- Recreation in Mediterranean marine parks: limits and perspectives